Blue Milk Glass Hen on Nest




It’s hard to know where to begin with this blue, milk-glass hen I love so much. There are SO MANY available in most every antique store you walk into. But I was looking for something specific. Carolyne Rhoem, New York Socialite decor artist (like Martha Stewart only classy and without the jail thing) and a see-through dark blue glass hen and she’s what got me on the hunt for my own.



In case you didn’t know, the glass hen on the nest has a HUGE following. I’m determined not to own more than one, but I have seen a few that surprised me and I wanted to add to this little beauty. Just to show you what a big deal she is, there is a book available on amazon.com called “Glass Hen on Next Covered Dishes: Identification & Value Guide.”  Then there’s the National Milk Glass Collector’s Society which has an extensive article about identification and classification of glass hens on nest (http://nmgcs.org/articles/42-hen-on-a-nest-studying-a-glass-collection.html) .




 There’s a website where a woman has taken painstaking efforts to classify her entire collection (http://www.carnivalglass.org/education/hens/). Finally but not in total, this website on the Indiana Glass Company which originally created glass hens in America is discussed in length here: http://www.carnivalglass.org/education/hens/. This is but a mere sample of the love of these glass hens.






Why do I like them? I like that it’s a creative dish. As I showed in my previous blog about frames, I like when something practical has an aesthetically pleasing twist. And the color goes with just about everything!  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things We Fear Before Having a Baby

Finding a Marriage Partner that Fills in Your Gaps