Sheffield Fake Antique Frames





I’m starting off Antique Love with a group of much-loved frames that are not antiques. They are from Hobby Lobby by Sheffield, which always reminds me of The Nanny. I wanted to find frames that would do my Italian great-grandparents justice. 











My great-grandmother, Nona, had a snazzy sense of fashion and a sassy way about her, as you can tell from the picture. See that bag she’s got? Crocodile. And my mother still has it.







 My great-grandfather, Nono, as seen playing shuffleboard on ship’s decks, left Italy after they demanded he return his issued boots (the only shoes he had) after he fought in the French-Italian war. He said, “That’s it, I’m done. I’m going to America.” He made his first million with his Italian Wine Company in New York City, lost it all the great depression, and made it back afterward. I can’t believe how much my grandfather looked like him. 







With a tale like this, I can hardly give them a shiny modern frame, now could I? So Nono gets this slightly more manly frame and Nona gets the classicly snazzy bird frame. I love how her picture shows the tanned edges within the frame itself. I purposefully did not matte it so the edges would show. It’s important to show people, this picture isn’t in black and white format, that was when everything was in black and white. 






















As a final note, see how thick and textured Nono’s frame?  I believe texture is most important for fake antique frames--not a “textured” antique-style painted frame. That just wouldn’t do it justice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things We Fear Before Having a Baby

Finding a Marriage Partner that Fills in Your Gaps

Blue Milk Glass Hen on Nest